TheHappyReader

Thursday, September 28, 2006

#21 Podcasts, Smodcasts!

I have been aware of podcasts, but had no idea of the limitless numbers that are available on the web until I saw the podcast directories. Fortunately, the directories put them in easily searchable catagories. I happily found Authors on Tour-Live! Weekly Podcasts of Authors and Their Books, Live From The Tattered Cover Book Store and SimonSays-Books and Audiobooks from Simon and Schuster. I put both on my bloglines account, which, by the way, was not easy. I couldn't figure out how to get the RSS feed to bloglines until my tech-savvy co-worker Mary Lou Brown explained how to right click on the little RSS button and copy the url shortcut, then add it to bloglines. I am happy about both of the feeds I chose, because they have links to copy the podcasts to mp3 files. I'm very close to the end of the 23 Things, and I'm feeling excited about all the uses I will have for the player.
I have been thinking about library applications for podcasts. I think there are all kinds of places on the website where podcasts would be really cool. How about author interviews or readings linked to the authors in Readers Club and Bookhive? Or "Tips for Using the Catalog" linked on the catalog page? Imagine someone hearing instructions about how to differentiate a large print from a regular print edition when they place a hold. It would be such a helpful solution to a common problem.

1 Comments:

At 12:07 PM, Blogger Marlo said...

Podcasts at the HIP stations? That is a great idea, especially for instructions. Of course we would have to add earphones out there. I don't know about that but it would be useful if patrons could listen from home.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home